Sunday, September 4, 2011

Post 4/6: Bookstores dying and the growing popularity of e-readers

An e-reader is a handheld device in which books can be purchased, stored, and read. Amazon's device, the Kindle, as well as Barnes and Noble's nook, Apple's iPad, and many other e-readers, have been growing in popularity recently. People like how easily many books can be stored and read on one device, rather than packing around many bulky physical copies of books. Because of this, one begs the question (rather, questions), are e-readers going to change the way we read books? Will the traditional paperback soon become a thing of the past? Are bookstores across the country dying? It certainly seems that way. Amazon's Kindle is growing in popularity, and seems to be the most preferred e-reader out there. Amazon states that for ever 10 physical books they sell, they also sell 6 e-books.

I, for one, take this as terrible news. I love to read, and I love books, but I would refuse to use an e-reader. The only time I ever considered trying it was when I received one for Christmas. I was in disbelief, but figured, "it's the thought that counts. Who knows, maybe I'll give it a try." I took it back to the store several days later. I love the feel of an actual book. I love being able to look at my bookshelf and see what all I have collected throughout my life. I love the smell of a new book, and the variety of copies that exist of a book when I walk into a bookstore. I usually tend to choose the books that don't have the footnotes or the obnoxious introductions by erudite scholars trying to pick the book apart (I can do that part myself, thanks). When asked in my senior year of high school, "Do you think that books will become a thing of the past?" I said no. I felt that there were plenty of people that loved the same things I love about books that would ensure the longevity of physical books. Now I am disappointed to see the Barnes and Noble near my dorm closed, upset to hear that the Borders a little further away is closing, and fearing for the Barnes and Noble in my home town that is so close to my house. Over the summer break, I walked into a Walden Books in one of the malls back home, and saw that the store was closing. It was one of the only stores in that mall that I enjoyed, and suddenly the threat e-readers placed on actual books became real to me. Books have endured for centuries. I refuse to see them go away.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8353305/E-readers-growing-in-popularity-as-publishers-predict-the-year-of-the-e-book.html
http://www.mndaily.com/2010/02/11/popularity-e-readers-rise
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/why-your-bookstore-is-going-out-of-business.aspx




I hate this so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment