Saturday, March 19, 2011

Invisible Cities!

Spring Break is over. And I got little done.

That's NOT to say that it won't be done LATER! And by later, I mean ON TIME.

So, this next project is the Invisible Cities project, where we read these descriptions about these cities and choose one to design. The one I think piqued my interest most was probably Esmeralda, "city of water." This city is filled with canals and streets that intersect each other. Its inhabitants are always taking new routes to their destination, and can choose to walk on the street, travel by boat in the canals, or mix it up along the way. "The most fixed and calm lives in Esmeralda," it says, "are spent without any repetition."

Here's another passage I really liked:

"Secret and adventurous lives, here as elsewhere, are subject to greater restrictions. Esmeralda's cats, thieves, illicit lovers move along higher, discontinuous ways, dropping from a rooftop to a balcony, following gutterings with acrobats' steps."

We have to research two different cultures and I guess use this research to design our city. Besides that, we also need to write about "A Day in the Life" of an inhabitant of the city. While I could just do an average, ordinary inhabitant of the city, I think it would be really cool to write mine from a thief's perspective. OR someone who's sneaking around with someone other than a spouse. But I think the thief would be more fun.

As far as cultures I'd like to research, I think I would really like to research the culture of the Persian Empire, and maybe... Hm... I'll look around for another culture. And report back with my findings. c:

No comments:

Post a Comment